Congratulations to Ph.D. student Charlie Tran, who has been selected to participate in the 2021 NextProf PathFinder Workshop: Preparing the Next Generation of Scientific and Technological Leaders at the University of Michigan on October 17-19, 2021.
The NextProf Pathfinder is a two-day program developed at Michigan Engineering and aimed at first and second-year Ph.D. students, as well as students in master’s programs, to keep them pursuing careers in academia.
Tran (Lab: Dr. Ruogu Fang) and participants will hear from top faculty and deans from around the U.S. to gain a better understanding of academic life and how to achieve a position in it. They learn best practices in applying and networking for positions, how to set up a lab and what kind of work/life balance they can expect, for example.
NextProf Pathfinder, designed for earlier-stage students, teaches participants what types of experiences they should seek to best position themselves.
Developed by expert faculty, Michigan Engineering’s annual NextProf workshops have established a reputation as preeminent event in a nationwide effort to strengthen and diversify the next generation of academic leaders.
- Meet mentors & future collaborators – expanding personal networks
- Attend panel discussions with successful faculty
- Learn about the faculty search process
- Prepare for the academic job market
- Plan for the rigors of first faculty positions
- Understand how to build a successful research program