Diabetes Tissue Engineering Laboratory
1275 Center Drive, Biomedical Sciences Building J385, Gainesville, FL 32611T: (352) 273-9327
F: (352) 273-9221
Professor & Integra LifeSciences Term Professor
Biomaterials, controlled release, regenerative medicine & diabetes
B.S., Chemical Engineering, The Florida State University and Florida A&M University, 1998
Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, The Georgia Institute of Technology & Emory University, 2004
Dr. Stabler’s research centers on engineering translational biomaterial platforms for cell-based therapies, particularly Type 1 diabetes. Specifically, her research seeks to develop bioactive materials capable of: protecting cells from immunological attack; providing 3-D support of the transplanted cells; presenting cues for guiding positive host cell remodeling; and releasing therapeutic agents. Through the fabrication of novel biomaterials capable of actively interfacing with the host, she seeks to optimize the graft environment to favor the long-term survival and function of the implanted cells.
Honors and Awards:
- Society for Biomaterials, Member-at-Large, 2019
- Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering Teacher/Scholar Award, 2019
- Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE), 2018
- Teaching Excellence Award, Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Florida, 2018
- Bioengineering, Technology, and Surgical Sciences Study Section, NIH Center for Scientific Review, 2016
- Service Excellence Award, Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Florida, 2016
- University of Miami, College of Engineering, Johnson A. Edosomwan Researcher of the Year, 2011
- University of Miami, College of Engineering, Eliahu I. Jury Early Career Research Award, 2009
- National Institutes of Health NIDDK Type 1 Diabetes Pathfinder Award, 2008
- Most-Cited Article of the Year, Bioconjugate Chemistry (American Chemical Society), 2006
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Individual Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2005
- NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award Individual Postdoctoral Fellowship (Declined in lieu of JDRF Fellowship), 2005
Google Scholar Citations Link
Weaver, JD, and Stabler, CL, “Antioxidant Cerium Oxide Nanoparticle Hydrogels for Cellular Encapsulation,” Acta Biomaterialia, Apr; 16, pp 136-44 (2015)
Rengifo, HR, Giraldo, JA, Labrada, I, and Stabler, CL, “Long-term Survival of Allograft Murine Islets Coated via Covalently Stabilized Polymers,” Advanced Healthcare Materials, 3 (7), pp 1061-70 (2014).
Gattás-Asfura, KM, and Stabler, CL, “Bioorthogonal Layer-by-layer Encapsulation of Pancreatic Islets via Hyperbranched Polymers,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 5 (20), pp 9964–9974 (2013)
Brady, A-C, Martino, MM, Pedraza, E, Sukert, S, Pileggi, A, Ricordi, C, Hubbell, JA, and Stabler, CL, “Modulated Release of Pro-Angiogenic Factors within Macroporous Scaffolds Enhances Islet Engraftment in an Extrahepatic Site,” Tissue Engineering, 19 (23-24), pp. 2544-52, (2013).
Pedraza, E. , Coronel, MM, Fraker, CA, Ricordi, C, and Stabler, CL, “Preventing Hypoxia-Induced Cell death in Beta Cells and Islets via Hydrolytically Activated, Oxygen-Generating Biomaterials,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 109(11) pp. 4245-50 (2012).