- About BME
- Academics Home
- Combined Degrees
- Student Resources
- Industry Home
- Partner Benefits
- Student Design Projects
- Guest Lectures
- BME Interns
- Research Collaborations
- Tech Licensing
- Industry News
- "Women's Radio Network Open Forum" To Feature AxoGen, Inc.
- 3rd Annual Pruitt Research Day
- AxoGen, Inc. Announces Clearance from FDA to Proceed with New Multicenter Comparative Study for Avance® Nerve Graft
- AxoGen, Inc. Announces Completion of a Pilot Clinical Study Assessing Cavernous Nerve Reconstruction with Avance® Nerve Graft
- BioD LLC Makes $1 Million Gift Commitment to UF BME
- BioD Receives U.S. Patent for Unique Placental Tissue Technology
- Dr. Peter McFetridge awarded the Tim Brahm Professorship
- Event Celebrates BioD’s $1 Million Gift to BME
- New Industry Partner: Sigma Aldrich Corporation
- RTI Surgical™ Announces Agreement With Novation
- Record BME Industry Partner Participation at the 4th Annual Pruitt Research Day
- SPECIAL EVENT: “Geraldo Rivera Show” to Feature AxoGen, Inc.
- Stryker Provides Guest Lecture to BME Students
- Contact Us
Blanka Sharma, Ph.D.
Blanka Sharma, Ph.D.
Nanomedicine, stem cells, biomaterials, tissue engineering, and targeted drug/gene delivery
1275 Center Drive, Biomedical Sciences Building J387, Gainesville, FL 32611
B.A. Sc, Chemical Engineering, University of Waterloo, 1999
Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 2005
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Biomedical Engineering, Cleveland Clinic
Dr. Sharma’s research is focused on understanding the fundamental interactions between stem cells and diseased/injured tissues, and developing biomaterials to better control stem cell behavior in the body. This includes engineering of nanoparticle-based targeted drug/gene delivery systems and tissue engineering scaffolds to direct the therapeutic function of stem cells. Ultimately, our goal is to translate this research into better ways to treat traumatic injuries, cancer, and degenerative diseases.
Honor and Awards:
- Outstanding Faculty Member, UF Graduate Student Council, 2016
- Invited Mentee, U.S. Bone and Joint Initiative Young Investigator Program, 2015
- Featured as "20 under 40" outstanding young faculty by the American Society for Engineering Education, 2014
- Invited Participant, National Academies Kecks Future Initiatives (NAKFI) Conference on Collective Behavior, 2014
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada Postgraduate Fellow, 2002-2004
Sharma B, Peetla C, Adjei I, Labhasetwar V, Selective biophysical interactions of engineered nanoparticles with cancer cell lipids improves tumor targeting and gene therapy. Cancer Letters, 2013 Jul 1;334(2):228-36.
Sharma B, Fermanian S, Gibson M, Unterman S, Cascio B, Coburn J, Hui AY, Marcus N, Gold GE, Elisseeff JH, Human cartilage repair with a photoreactive adhesive-hydrogel composite, Science Translational Medicine, 2013 Jan 9;5(167):167ra6.
Sharma B, Ma W, Panyam J, Adjec I, Dimetrijevic S, Labhasetwar V, Nanoparticle-mediated p53 Gene Delivery for Tumor Inhibition, Drug Delivery and Translational Research, 2011 Feb; 1(1):43-52
Sharma B, Williams CG, Kim TK, Malik A, Sun DD, Leong KW, Elisseeff JH, Designing Zonal Organization into Tissue Engineered Cartilage, Tissue Engineering, 2007 Feb;13(2):405-14.
Sharma B, Williams CG, Khan MK, Hanson P, Elisseeff JH, In vivo chodrogenesis of mesenchymal stem cells in a photopolymerized hydrogel, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2007 Jan;119(1):112-20.