Biomimetic Materials & Neural Engineering Lab
1275 Center Drive, Biomedical Sciences Building JG42, Gainesville, FL 32611T: (352) 273-9222
F: (352) 273-9221
Professor, J. Crayton Pruitt Family Chair & Department Chair
Biomaterials for neural tissue regeneration and neural interfacing
B.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 1988
Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois, 1995
NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, MIT, 1994-1996
Dr. Schmidt’s research is focused on engineering novel materials and therapeutic systems to stimulate damaged peripheral and spinal neurons to regenerate. Taking a unique approach to this problem, she uses electrically conducting polymers and natural-based materials (e.g., hyaluronic acid-based biomaterials, decellularized tissues) to create therapies that can electrically, chemically, biologically and mechanically trigger neurons, at both the macroscopic and nanometer-scales.
Honors and Awards:
- Member, Academy of Science, Engineering and Medicine of Florida (ASEMFL), 2021
- Florida Inventors Hall of Fame, 2020
- Fellow, International Academy of Medical and Biological Engineering (IAMBE), 2019
- Society for Biomaterials, Clemson Award for Applied Research, 2019
- Fellow, National Academy of Inventors (NAI), 2018
- President, American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE), 2018-2020
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Nanomedicine, Spring 2016-present
- Chair, College of Fellows, American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE), Spring 2015-Spring 2016
- Fellow, American Society for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), 2013
- Deputy Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 2012-present
- Executive Editorial Board, Journal of Materials Chemistry. Royal Society of Chemistry, Fall 2012-present
- Fellow, Biomaterials Science and Engineering (FBSE), International Union of Societies of Biomaterials Science and Engineering, 2012
- Cockrell School of Engineering Distinguished Alumnus Award, The University of Texas, 2012
- Editorial Board, Nanomedicine, Spring 2011-present
- Board of Directors, Biomedical Engineering Society, 2011-2014
- Editorial Board, Acta Biomaterialia, Spring 2010-present
- American Competiveness and Innovation (ACI) Fellow from the National Science Foundation , 2010-2012
- Conference Chair, Biomedical Engineering Society Annual Fall Meeting, 2010
- Fellow, Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES), 2010
- Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE), 2009
- Chairmen’s Distinguished Life Sciences Award, Sponsored by the Christopher Columbus Fellowship Foundation and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, 2008
- Editorial Board, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, Spring 2007-present
- Editorial Board, Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, Spring 2006-present
Google Scholar Citations Link
Khaing, Z.Z., R.C. Thomas, S.A. Geissler, C.E. Schmidt (2014). “Advanced Biomaterials for Repairing the Nervous System: What can Hydrogels do for the Brain?” Materials Today. 17(7):332-340.
Thompson, D.M., Koppes, A.N., J.G. Hardy, C.E. Schmidt, D.M. (2014). “Electrical Stimuli in the Central Nervous System Microenvironment,” Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering. 16:397-430.
Hardy, J.G., J.Y. Lee, C.E. Schmidt (2013). “Biomimetic conducting polymer-based tissue scaffolds,” Current Opinion in Biotechnology. 24(5):847-54.
Spivey, E.C., E.T. Ritschdorff, J.M. Connell, C.A. McLennon, C.E. Schmidt, J.B. Shear (2013). “Multiphoton Lithography of Unconstrained Three-Dimensional Protein Microstructures,” Advanced Functional Materials. 23:333-339
Spivey, E.C., Z.Z. Khaing, J.B Shear, C.E. Schmidt (2012). “The Fundamental Role of Subcellular Topography in Peripheral Nerve Repair Therapies,” Biomaterials. 33(17):4264-76.