1275 Center Drive, Biomedical Sciences Building J383, Gainesville, FL 32611T: (352) 273-5876
Assistant Professor & J. Crayton Pruitt Family Term Fellow
Biomaterials, regenerative medicine, immunoengineering and diabetes
B.S., Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2006
Ph.D., Bioengineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2011
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Bioengineering, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne (EPFL), 2016
Dr. Phelps’s research is focused on biomaterials engineering as a strategy for regenerative therapies with emphasis in the area of type 1 diabetes. Phelps specializes in bio-synthetic cellular microenvironments (e.g., bio-functionalized polyethylene-glycol hydrogel) for controlled presentation of bioactive signals to drive regenerative responses in vivo. He has developed biomaterials for therapeutic angiogenesis and to improve the viability and function of transplanted insulin-producing pancreatic islets. Phelps is working to develop novel immunomodulatory biomaterials strategies to counter autoimmunity in type 1 diabetes. Phelps also uses advanced light microscopy methods to investigate aspects of basic pancreatic islet biology including the immunopathogenesis of diabetes autoantigens (e.g., GAD65) and the role of neurotransmitter paracrine signaling in regulating islet function.
Honor and Awards:
- UF Excellence Award for Assistant Professors, 2021
- J. Crayton Pruitt Family Term Fellow, Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Florida, 2020 – 2023
- Controlled Release Society, Drug Delivery and Translational Research Outstanding Research Paper Award, 2016
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Advanced Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2014
- Whitaker International Program Postdoctoral Scholarship, 2012
- Georgia Institute of Technology, Bioengineering Program Best Ph.D. Thesis Award, 2012
- Georgia Institute of Technology, President’s Fellowship, 2010
- Society for Biomaterials STAR Award, 2009
- American Heart Association Predoctoral Fellowship, 2008
Google Scholar Citations Link
Phelps EA, Cianciaruso C, Michael IP, Pasquier M, Kanaani J, Nano R, Lavallard V, Billestrup N, Hubbell JA, Baekkeskov S. “Aberrant Accumulation of the Diabetes Autoantigen GAD65 in Golgi Membranes in Conditions of ER Stress and Autoimmunity,” Diabetes. 2016 Sep;65(9):2686-2699.
Lee TT, García JR, Paez J, Singh A, Phelps EA, Weis S, Shafiq Z, Shekaran A, del Campo A, García AJ. “Light-triggered in Vivo Activation of Adhesive Peptides Regulates Cell Adhesion, Inflammation and Vascularization of Biomaterials,” Nature Materials. 2015 Mar;14(3):352-60.
Phelps EA, Headen DM, Taylor WR, Thule PM, García AJ. “Vasculogenic bio-synthetic Hydrogel Enhances Pancreatic Islet Engraftment and Function in Type 1 Diabetes,” Biomaterials. 2013 Jun ;34(19):4602-11.
Phelps EA, Enemchukwu ND, Fiore VF, Sy JC, Murthy N, Sulchek TA, Barker TH, García AJ. “Maleimide Cross-Linked Bioactive PEG Hydrogel Exhibits Improved Reaction Kinetics and Ccross-Linking for Cell Encapsulation and in Situ Delivery,” Advanced Materials. 2012 Jan 3;24(1):64-70, 2.
Phelps EA, Landazuri N, Thule PM, Taylor WR, García AJ. “Bioartificial Matrices for Therapeutic Vascularization,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2010 Feb 23;107(8):3323-8.