1064 Center Drive, NEB 337, PO Box 116131, Gainesville, FL 32611T: (352) 294-5344 or (352) 846-3373
F: (352) 273-9221
J. Crayton Pruitt Family Professor
Magnetic micro- and nanoparticle-based biomedical applications
B.Sc., University of Florida, 1982
M.Sc., University of Florida, 1986
Ph.D., Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, ETH-Zurich, 1991
Dr. Dobson’s research focuses on biomedical applications of magnetic micro- and nanoparticles. His group has developed novel technologies for 1) magnetic targeting and remote activation of cell signaling pathways for cell engineering and stem cell therapy; 2) magnetic nanoparticle-based gene transfection delivery; and 3) magnetic targeting of modified cell carriers for cancer therapy and regenerative medicine. In addition, he has also led a multi-national research program developing novel imaging and characterization techniques to quantify, characterize and map iron compounds related to neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
Honors and Awards:
- Fellow, National Academy of Inventors (NAI), 2020
- J. Crayton Pruitt Family Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Florida, 2017-present
- UF Research Foundation Professor, 2017-2020
- UF Preeminence Term Professor, 2017-2020
- International Journal of Nanomedicine Distinguished Scientist Award, 2017
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), 2015
- Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE), 2015
- Associate Editor, Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 2013-Present
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on NanoBioscience, 2004-Present
- Fellow, The Royal Society of Biology (UK), 2012
- Fellow, The Royal Society of Medicine (UK), 2007
- Césare Milstein Award, UK Medical Research Council, 2008
- Lord Stafford Award (UK), 2006 & 2008
- Royal Society of London – Wolfson Research Merit Fellow, 2004
- The Wellcome Trust – Sir Henry Wellcome Showcase Award (UK), 2002
Lim, J, MA Clements, J Dobson (2012) “Delivery of Short Interfering Ribonucleic Acid-Complexed Magnetic Nanoparticles in an Oscillating Field Occurs via Caveolae-Mediated Endocytosis,” PLoS ONE 7(12): e51350
Antharam, V, JF Collingwood, JP Bullivant, M Davidson, S Chandra, A Mikhaylova, M Finnegan, C Batich, J Forder, J Dobson (2012) “Relaxation Properties of Human Hippocampus in Alzheimer’s Disease using high field MRI Microscopy,” Neuroimage 59: 12498-1260.
Kanczler, JM, HS Sura, J Magnay, K Attridge, D Green, ROC Oreffo, J Dobson, AJ El Haj (2010) “Controlled Differentiation of Human Bone Marrow Stromal Cells Using Magnetic Nanoparticle Technology,” Tissue Engineering 16: 3241-3250.
Pankhurst, QA, NKT Thanh, SK Jones, J Dobson (2009) “Progress in Applications of Magnetic Nanoparticles in Biomedicine,” Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 42: 224001 (15pp).
Dobson, J (2008) “Nanomagnetic Actuation: Remote Control of Cells,” Nature Nanotechnology 3: 139-143.