Orthopaedic Biomedical Engineering Laboratory
1275 Center Drive,
Biomedical Sciences Building J389,
Gainesville, FL 32610
F: (352) 273-9221
Novel strategies to diagnose and treat degenerative joint diseases
B.S., Mechanical Engineering & Economics, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, 2002
Ph.D., Bioengineering, Rice University, 2006
Post-doctoral Fellowship, Orthopedic Surgery, Duke University, 2011
Dr. Allen’s research seeks to improve the evaluation of preclinical osteoarthritis models and improve the preclinical-to-clinical translation of emerging diagnostics and therapeutics for joint diseases. Within this goal, Dr. Allen’s lab is currently developing new behavioral assays that examine symptomology in rodent models of joint disease, novel methods to collect and analyze joint-level molecular changes using magnetic nanoparticles, and innovative replacements of tissue function using tissue engineering and cell therapy.
Honors and Awards:
- UF Doctoral Mentoring Award, 2022-2023
- HWCOE Faculty Excellence in Leadership Award, University of Florida, 2021
- Research Excellence Award, Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Florida, 2018
- UF Preeminence Term Professor, University of Florida, 2017-2020
- J. Crayton Pruitt Family Term Fellow, Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Florida, 2017-2020
- Chair of the Young Investigator Subcommittee for the Osteoarthritis Research Society International, 2016
- K99/R00 Pathways to Independence Award from the NIH, 2014
- F32 Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award, 2008-2009
- T32 Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award, 2006-2008
Allen KD, Mata BA, Gabr M, Huebner JL, Adams SB Jr., Kraus VB, Schmitt DO, and Setton LA (2012), “Kinematic and dynamic gait compensations resulting from knee instability in a rat model of osteoarthritis.” Arthritis Research & Therapy. 14:R78. PMC3446452
Allen KD, Shamji MF, Mata BA, Gabr M, Sinclair SM, Schmitt DO, Richardson WJ, and Setton LA (2011), “Kinematic and dynamic gait compensations in a rat model of lumbar radiculopathy and the effects of tumor necrosis factor-alpha antagonism.” Arthritis Research & Therapy, 2011 Aug 26;13(4):R137. PMC3239380.
Allen KD, Adams SB Jr., and Setton LA (2010), “Evaluating Intra-articular Drug Delivery for the Treatment of Osteoarthritis in a Rat Model,” Tissue Engineering Part B: Reviews, 16(1), pgs. 81-92. PMC2817653.
Allen KD, Griffin TM, Rodriguiz RM, Wetsel WC, Kraus VB, Huebrner JL, Boyd LM, and Setton LA (2009), “Decreased physical function and increased pain sensitivity in mice deficient for type IX collagen,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, 60(9), pgs 2684-93. PMC2760314.
Allen KD and Athanasiou KA (2008), “Scaffold and growth factor selection in temporomandibular joint disc engineering,” Journal of Dental Research, 87(2), pgs. 180-5.