Instructors interested in incorporating active and collaborative learning techniques in their classroom or who wish to achieve any of the previously mentioned LA Program goals may request to transform their class from a traditional classroom to an LA-supported classroom. Please email Dr. Mansy (firstname.lastname@example.org) to add your course to the BME LA-ready course list.Selection criteria
- Introduce the LAs to the students and emphasize that LAs will not provide direct answers but rather guide and help the students reach the answer on their own.
- Communicate how the LA role differs from the TA role. More information about the difference between an LA and a TA is in the “The LA is not a TA” section.
- Establish LA respect and appreciation in the classroom.
- Meet with the LAs on a weekly or biweekly basis to communicate with the LAs and agree on their role in the classroom.
- As much as possible, be supportive of and open to the ideas LAs bring in from the pedagogy course to allow/facilitate the LA experience in the classroom and reap its benefits.
- If the LA has created instructional material to help the students better navigate the course material (study guides, review session material, material summary,.. etc.), then the content has to be reviewed for correctness.
- Provide guidance on reported classroom issues.
- Provide guidance on how to handle challenging situations with struggling or anxious students.
At any time, if you are unsure of a task or role assignment, please don’t hesitate to contact Dr. Mansy (email@example.com) for clarification.