There is a community waiting for you. Apply today!
- PhD Application Deadline: December 5
- MS Application Deadline: December 5 for priority consideration, January 31 for full consideration
All application materials, including letters of recommendation, must be received by the Graduate Academic Office on or before these dates.
- PhD Application Deadline: Rolling*
- MS Application Deadline: November 15**
*Spring admission to the PhD program is restricted to current UF students transferring from BS to MS or MS to PhD. Students should contact email@example.com and explicitly outline their request for admission.
**All application materials, including letters of recommendation, must be received by the Graduate Academic Office on or before this date. Applicants for spring admission must have taken and successfully passed (grade of B or better) a course in physiology and/or cell biology to be considered. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding this requirement.
- BS in Engineering, Science, Physics, or Math
- Pre-Professional Courses: Students must demonstrate competence in each of the following areas or their equivalents (semester-based given):
- 3 Courses of Calculus
- 1 Course of Differential Equations
- 2 Courses of Physics with Calculus
- 1 Course of General Chemistry
- 3 courses in Biochemistry, Biology and/or Chemistry
- 1 Course in Technical Communications
- 1 Course covering one programming language (Java, MatLab, C, C++, etc.)
- Engineering Courses: Students must have taken at least one course from three of the following six areas:
- Statics or Dynamics
- Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, or Fluid Flow
- Electrical Circuits, Electronics, or Signal Processing
- Engineering Materials
- Engineering Economy or Management
- Engineering Mathematics or Statistics
Students that do not meet the above criteria should specify their plans to complete these requirements prior to admission or outline how other non-didactic experiences could substitute for these requirements. Students who do not meet admission requirements may be conditionally admitted, whereby they would be required to complete this required coursework during their first year of study. Courses taken to meet these requirements would not count towards their graduate degree.
Application Requirements and Process
We seek to evaluate students in a holistic manner, taking into account not just a student’s academic background, but also their life experience and engagement outside of the classroom. Please review instructions below that provide information as to how you can best convey all of your experiences.
Please follow the directions outlined below for successful submission of your application. Note that incomplete applications cannot be reviewed and will remain at the Office of Admissions until ALL required credentials have been received. International students should apply well in advance of the deadline, as credentials typically take longer to process.
All interested students must apply through the University of Florida Graduate Application system. Please follow the explicit step outlined below to ensure a complete application to our BME Graduate Programs.
Applying via the UF Application System
Personal Info: Complete all required information.
Conduct Disclosure and Application Information:
Complete requested information.
Complete requested information.
Program of Study
Select “Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering” and then “Biomedical Engineering” with the degree you intend to apply under and select the “appropriate” term. Finally, select “Save and Confirm Program.”
Note: All PhD applicants are automatically considered for the Masters program, so you do not need to apply to both. Also, all Masters program application (MS or ME) will be routed to the same applicant pool and all applicants are automatically entered into the MS program. (Students can easily switch to the ME program once they provide validation that they earned an undergraduate degree in engineering from an ABET accredited school.)
Please leave this portion blank.
Note: We no longer offer the Medical Physics program through BME, so we are not accepting applications for this concentration. Any applications for this concentration will be canceled. If you are interested in the Medical Physics program, apply via the College of Medicine Medical Physics Graduate Program.
Select your undergraduate major and specialization (if applicable). Use the “Select a College” feature to complete your current institutions information. All applicants should upload their unofficial transcript(s) (official transcripts will only be required if admission is offered and you accept the offer). Finally, insert the total number of junior and senior-level semester/quarter hours earned for each letter grade in the appropriate box.
If an international student, check the box under “Self-Reported GPA Calculation.” If domestic, calculate your GPA by following the instructions (this expedites applicant reviews).
Complete as outlined. The site will require you to enter at least one activity. This section is not critical, as your resume can outline your activities.
Test Score Information
The GRE is no longer required for admission to our graduate programs. For international applicants, UF requires proficiency in spoken and written English and accepts the results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The university’s TOEFL code is 5812. (See potential exclusions to this policy).
Note: International applicants are exempt from the English proficiency requirement if enrolled for one academic year in a degree-seeking program at a recognized/regionally accredited university or college in a country where English is the official language prior to your anticipated term of enrollment at UF, or if you are from one of the following countries.
The more information the applicant can provide within this section of the Application, the easier it can be for the review committee to holistically review the student.
Statement of Purpose
The J. Crayton Pruitt Family Department of Biomedical Engineering values a holistic graduate application review process. Accordingly, please address the following questions in your statement of purpose. Statements are limited to 1.5 – 2 single-spaced pages in length.
- Describe how your individual background and life experiences influenced your desire to pursue graduate education, and how UF BME will help you achieve your professional goals. Include specific details pertaining to faculty, research foci in our department, and outreach interests.
- Describe your philosophy and/or strategy for overcoming challenges. If possible, provide specific examples how you persisted through a difficult life experience, and how that might translate to difficult situations in graduate school.
- Describe any challenges you may have faced during your undergraduate or prior graduate program that is not reflected in your written academic record (e.g., research opportunities; grades; personal).
- Upload a technical writing sample to the miscellaneous section of the online application (e.g., journal article; lab report; senior design report; white paper; conference abstract).
This section provides a means to upload additional documents.
All applicants must:
- upload a resume in the resume section to summarize their academic experience.
All Ph.D. applicants must:
- Upload a completed Graduate Application Checklist in the resume section under the “Other Upload” tab.
Special Program Section
Complete the requested information as directed. Note that this section serves only to gather information regarding fellowships the applicant has applied to at the time of the application. Selecting a fellowship option in the UF Application System will not start the selected fellowship application process for the student. The student must independently apply for any fellowships via the organization’s specific process. Note: If you selected “applied to”, you must provide some form of documentation of this application to proceed to the next step. This would include any submission documents (the actual grant application is not required). If you are planning to apply for fellowships, but have not done so at this time, do not select any options or you application will remain incomplete. You are free to mention fellowships you are going to apply to in your Statement of Purpose. If interested in fellowship opportunities, please see here for a summary of some opportunities. If a student has already received a commitment of funding for their graduate work, this should be upload under the Resume/Other section.
Three (3) Letters of Recommendations are required to apply to our graduate program. Recommenders must be designated within recommendation section of UF application. These letters cannot be sent directly to the department and must only be received via the UF Application system. The best recommendations come from faculty or references that know the applicant beyond the classroom and can clearly convey knowledge of the applicant’s research interests, attitude, and work ethic and style.
Complete the requested information. Note that residency status has no impact on admission decisions, only tuition rates.
Application Summary: Review application for accuracy and pay application fee to submit the application.
Submit the $30.00 application fee via the UF Office of Admissions online application. Note: The Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering at the University of Florida provides PhD application fee waivers to selected PhD applicants that meet exceptional criteria. See admissions for details and request information and apply.
Additional Documents Required to Complete Application
In addition to the UF Application system, students must also send in the REQUIRED information and/or documents listed below. Only send the materials listed below, as other materials that were not uploaded in the original application (e.g. resumes, publications, and certifications) cannot be forwarded to the department or used in the review process. Admission decisions cannot be made until all required application materials have been received.
- For International Applicants: Official transcripts and diplomas/degree certificates from all schools attended in the original language, accompanied by an official English translation
DO NOT SEND PRINTED MATERIALS, TRANSCRIPTS OR SCORES TO THE BME DEPARTMENT AS THESE MUST BE ROUTED VIA THE UF APPLICATION SYSTEM.
You will receive an email 24-48 hours after submitting your UF application with instructions to create your MyAdmissions application status credentials. After creating your MyAdmissions credentials, please log in.
If you received a decision on your application prior to August 30, 2018, please use our legacy system to access your application status. To log in to the legacy system, use the same credentials that you used to apply.