- About BME
- Academics Home
- Combined Degrees
- Student Resources
- Industry Home
- Partner Benefits
- Student Design Projects
- Guest Lectures
- BME Interns
- Research Collaborations
- Tech Licensing
- Industry News
- "Women's Radio Network Open Forum" To Feature AxoGen, Inc.
- 3rd Annual Pruitt Research Day
- AxoGen, Inc. Announces Clearance from FDA to Proceed with New Multicenter Comparative Study for Avance® Nerve Graft
- AxoGen, Inc. Announces Completion of a Pilot Clinical Study Assessing Cavernous Nerve Reconstruction with Avance® Nerve Graft
- BioD LLC Makes $1 Million Gift Commitment to UF BME
- BioD Receives U.S. Patent for Unique Placental Tissue Technology
- Dr. Peter McFetridge awarded the Tim Brahm Professorship
- Event Celebrates BioD’s $1 Million Gift to BME
- New Industry Partner: Sigma Aldrich Corporation
- RTI Surgical™ Announces Agreement With Novation
- Record BME Industry Partner Participation at the 4th Annual Pruitt Research Day
- SPECIAL EVENT: “Geraldo Rivera Show” to Feature AxoGen, Inc.
- Stryker Provides Guest Lecture to BME Students
- Contact Us
Pruitt Research Day
Join us on Friday, November 18th as we celebrate the next generation of Biomedical Engineers and Scientists!
Pruitt Research Day will be a celebration of the research being conducted in the BME department and the BME community. We hold our celebration near the birth date of Dr. J. Crayton Pruitt Sr. whose vision and generosity helped found the BME department. Because Dr. Pruitt was always most excited about hearing and discussing our students’ achievements and research. Dr. Pruitt himself was not only a renowned cardiothoracic surgeon but also an inventor of catheters and instruments for use in cardiovascular surgery that include his co-invention of the Pruitt-Inahara shunt – still one of the world’s most popular shunts used during carotid endarterectomy.
KEYNOTE SPEAKER: Gary J. Miller, Ph.D.,Executive Vice President, Research and Development, Exactech, Inc.
Gary J. Miller, Ph.D. is a founder and has been executive vice president of research and development since February 2000. He was vice president of research and development from 1986 until 2000 and was a director from March 1989 until November 2007. Miller was associate professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and director of research and biomechanics at the University of Florida College of Medicine from July 1986 until August 1996. Miller received his Bachelor of Science from the University of Florida, his Master of Science (biomechanics) from Massachusetts Institute of Technology and his Doctor of Philosophy in mechanical engineering (biomechanics) from the University of Florida.
Miller has previously held an adjunct associate professorship in the College of Veterinary Medicine’s Small Animal Surgical Sciences Division and has served as an adjunct associate professor in the Department of Aerospace, Mechanics and Engineering Sciences from 1995 until 2010 at the University of Florida. He currently serves on the Dean's advisory board in the Wertheim College of Engineering at the University of Florida. He also serves on the College's external advisory boards for the J. Crayton Pruitt Department of Biomedical Engineering and for the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, where he also is appointed as Courtesy Professor. Miller was a consultant to the United States Food and Drug Administration from 1989 to 1992 and has served as a consultant to such companies as Johnson & Johnson Orthopaedics, Dow-Corning Wright and Orthogenesis.
INDUSTRY PARTNER SESSIONS: This year, we will be hosting two special sessions for students to interact with industry partner representatives. All sessions will take place at 4pm on Friday, November 18th.
1. Industry Panel Discussion – This panel will include representatives from a number of our industry partners who will speak about latest industry trends, general job prospects for recent graduates, best practices in leadership/innovation, and who will take questions from students in the audience. Don’t miss the unique opportunity to interface with these experts!
LOCATION: Biomedical Sciences Bldg room JG32 @ 4pm
2. Industry Panel Resume Sessions – Students interested in jobs and/or internship opportunities are invited to attend "resume sessions" with representatives from two of our local industry partners, AxoGen and RTI Surgical. If you decide to attend one of the individual sessions with AxoGen or RTI Surgical, please come prepared with your resume in hand and appropriate professional attire. Reps will be on hand from both companies to answer your specific questions on job/intern opportunities within their company, to discuss their companies in more detail and hiring information.
LOCATION: AxoGen session: Biomedical Sciences Bldg room JG35 @ 4pm, RTI Surgical session: Biomedical Sciences Bldg, room J380 @ 4pm
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
The location for all events leading up to the poster session is the Communicore building, room C1-15. The poster session and industry sessions will be held in the Biomedical Sciences Building.
9:45-10:30 am – Keynote Talk, Gary J. Miller, Ph.D., Executive Vice President, Research and Development, Exactech, Inc.
10:30-11:00 am – Coffee Break
11:00-11:45 am – Student Talks (Shannon Brown, Kaiyuan Jiang, Chris Lacko)
11:45-1:00 pm – Pizza Lunch & Networking
1:00-1:45 pm – Student Talks (Jinzheng Cai, Antonietta Restuccia, Xianjin Dai)
Biomedical Sciences Building
1:45-3:45 pm – Poster Session, Industry Tables and Refreshments
3:45-4:00 pm – Presentation of Awards
4:00-5:00 pm – Industry Panel Discussion & Resume Sessions