- About BME
- Academics Home
- Combined Degrees
- Student Resources
- Industry Home
- Partner Benefits
- Student Design Projects
- Guest Lectures
- BME Interns
- Research Collaborations
- Tech Licensing
- Industry News
- "Women's Radio Network Open Forum" To Feature AxoGen, Inc.
- 3rd Annual Pruitt Research Day
- AxoGen, Inc. Announces Clearance from FDA to Proceed with New Multicenter Comparative Study for Avance® Nerve Graft
- AxoGen, Inc. Announces Completion of a Pilot Clinical Study Assessing Cavernous Nerve Reconstruction with Avance® Nerve Graft
- BioD LLC Makes $1 Million Gift Commitment to UF BME
- BioD Receives U.S. Patent for Unique Placental Tissue Technology
- Dr. Peter McFetridge awarded the Tim Brahm Professorship
- Event Celebrates BioD’s $1 Million Gift to BME
- New Industry Partner: Sigma Aldrich Corporation
- RTI Surgical™ Announces Agreement With Novation
- SPECIAL EVENT: “Geraldo Rivera Show” to Feature AxoGen, Inc.
- Stryker Provides Guest Lecture to BME Students
- Contact Us
Jon P. Dobson, Ph.D.
Jon P. Dobson, Ph.D.
Magnetic micro- and nanoparticle-based biomedical applications
1275 Center Drive, Biomedical Sciences Building J393, Gainesville, FL 32611
(352) 294-5344 or (352) 846-3373
B.Sc., University of Florida, 1982
M.Sc., University of Florida, 1986
Ph.D., Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, ETH-Zurich, 1991
Dr. Dobson’s research focuses on biomedical applications of magnetic micro- and nanoparticles. His group has developed novel technologies for (i) magnetic targeting and remote activation of cell signaling pathways for cell engineering and stem cell therapy; (ii) magnetic nanoparticle-based gene transfection delivery; and (iii) magnetic targeting of modified cell carriers for cancer therapy and regenerative medicine. In addition, he has also led a multi-national research program developing novel imaging and characterization techniques to quantify, characterize and map iron compounds related to neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
Honors and Awards:
- Fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering, 2015
- Associate Editor, Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 2013-Present
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on NanoBioscience, 2004-Present
- Fellow of The Society of Biology (UK), 2012
- Fellow of The Royal Society of Medicine (UK), 2007
- Fellow of The Institute of Nanotechnology (UK), 2007
- Césare Milstein Award, UK Medical Research Council, 2008
- Lord Stafford Award (UK), 2006 & 2008
- Royal Society of London - Wolfson Research Merit Fellow, 2004
- The Wellcome Trust - Sir Henry Wellcome Showcase Award (UK), 2002
Lim, J, MA Clements, J Dobson (2012) Delivery of short interfering ribonucleic acid-complexed magnetic nanoparticles in an oscillating field occurs via caveolae-mediated endocytosis. PLoS ONE 7(12): e51350
Antharam, V, JF Collingwood, JP Bullivant, M Davidson, S Chandra, A Mikhaylova, M Finnegan, C Batich, J Forder, J Dobson (2012) Relaxation properties of human hippocampus in Alzheimer’s Disease using high field MRI microscopy. Neuroimage 59: 12498-1260.
Kanczler, JM, HS Sura, J Magnay, K Attridge, D Green, ROC Oreffo, J Dobson, AJ El Haj (2010) Controlled Differentiation of Human Bone Marrow Stromal Cells Using Magnetic Nanoparticle Technology. Tissue Engineering 16: 3241-3250.
Pankhurst, QA, NKT Thanh, SK Jones, J Dobson (2009) Progress in applications of magnetic nanoparticles in biomedicine. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 42: 224001 (15pp).
Dobson, J (2008) Nanomagnetic actuation: remote control of cells. Nature Nanotechnology 3: 139-143.