- About BME
- Academics Home
- Combined Degrees
- Student Resources
- Contact Us
Jon P. Dobson, Ph.D.
Jon P. Dobson, Ph.D.
Magnetic micro- and nanoparticle-based biomedical applications
1275 Center Drive, Biomedical Sciences Building J389, Gainesville, FL 32611
(352) 294-5344 or (352) 846-3373
B.Sc., University of Florida, 1982
M.Sc., University of Florida, 1986
Ph.D., Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, ETH-Zurich, 1991
The main focus of Professor Dobson's research falls into four broad categories (i) nanomagnetic actuation for mechanical conditioning and control of cellular functions for regenerative medicine and stem cell research, (ii) enhanced in vitro and in vivo gene delivery and expression, (iii) magnetic nanoparticle-loaded cellular carriers for tumor targeting and tissue repair and (iv) magnetic nanoparticle synthesis and characterization. The underlying theme of all this work is the novel use of magnetic nanoparticles to develop technologies for bionanotechnology and nanomedicine applications in fields as diverse as gene therapy, stem cell therapy, tumour targeting and regenerative medicine. In addition, Professor Dobson also co-ordinates a large, multi-national research programme developing imaging and characterization techniques for iron compounds in neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s, to inform the development of MRI-based early diagnostic techniques and to guide the development of new therapies.
Honors and Awards:
- Royal Society of London - Wolfson Research Merit Fellow, 2004
- Fellow of The Society of Biology (UK), 2012
- Fellow of The Royal Society of Medicine (UK), 2007
- Fellow of The Institute of Nanotechnology (UK), 2007
- The Wellcome Trust - Sir Henry Wellcome Showcase Award (UK), 2002
- Césare Milstein Award, UK Medical Research Council, 2008
- Lord Stafford Award (UK), 2006 & 2008
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on NanoBioscience, 2004-Present
- Associate Editor, Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 2013-Present
- Fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering, 2015
Lim, J, MA Clements, J Dobson (2012) Delivery of short interfering ribonucleic acid-complexed magnetic nanoparticles in an oscillating field occurs via caveolae-mediated endocytosis. PLoS ONE 7(12): e51350
Antharam, V, JF Collingwood, JP Bullivant, M Davidson, S Chandra, A Mikhaylova, M Finnegan, C Batich, J Forder, J Dobson (2012) Relaxation properties of human hippocampus in Alzheimer’s Disease using high field MRI microscopy. Neuroimage 59: 12498-1260.
Kanczler, JM, HS Sura, J Magnay, K Attridge, D Green, ROC Oreffo, J Dobson, AJ El Haj (2010) Controlled Differentiation of Human Bone Marrow Stromal Cells Using Magnetic Nanoparticle Technology. Tissue Engineering 16: 3241-3250.
Pankhurst, QA, NKT Thanh, SK Jones, J Dobson (2009) Progress in applications of magnetic nanoparticles in biomedicine. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 42: 224001 (15pp).
Dobson, J (2008) Nanomagnetic actuation: remote control of cells. Nature Nanotechnology 3: 139-143.